2022 Call for Proposals
Deadline for submission: March 18, 2022
The Learning Technology Incubator (LTi) program is an initiative of the A&S Learning Design and Technology team. The goal of the LTi is to promote innovative projects that seek to solve common instructional challenges and show potential to improve teaching and learning broadly across the curriculum.
In the 2022-2023 LTi cycle, we especially welcome proposals that...
- address complex teaching and learning challenges in large-enrollment courses
- leverage course design or re-design to maximize flexibility, resilience, inclusion, and/or equitable access to learning
- apply tools from the existing UVA Learning Technology ecosystem or explore emerging technologies to solve complex teaching and learning challenges
Proposals that demonstrate interdisciplinary collaboration, have a significant impact on teaching and learning, or have potential to scale up in future iterations are especially encouraged.
Levels of Funding
Funding may be awarded at several levels. For example:
- $2,000 for one–two faculty to develop a short-term project impacting a small group of students
- $10,000 for a small group of faculty working across two or more courses to develop a year-long project impacting students
- $25,000+ for a group of faculty working across multiple courses or disciplines to develop a multi-year project impacting a significant number of students
Funding may be awarded to cover faculty stipend (typically taken as summer wages*), student wages, necessary tools and technology, and other miscellaneous items. The requested faculty stipend should align to the scope and potential impact of the project.Please note that this grant does not cover travel or conference attendance.
Summer wage payments are made in accordance with HR policy governing faculty overload; please direct any questions to your department’s fiscal administrators.*
Equipment purchased with LTi funding is the property of the College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and must be returned to LD&T at the end of the grant term.
A detailed project budget is required.
Funds may not be transferred among categories after award notification.
Evaluation of Proposals
Successful proposals will demonstrate a connection between the proposed project and teaching strategies, pedagogies, or learning technologies that have been shown to enhance effectiveness of undergraduate education.
Grant recipients will be notified on or about May 5, 2022. Funding will be available after July 1, 2022 and must be spent before May 31, 2023.All projects will be assigned an A&S Learning Design & Technology consultant at the point of award notification.
Requirements of Funded Projects
All funded projects submit a project assessment at the end of the grant year. Project teams are also expected to present findings and share outcomes with the UVA community. More information about presentation opportunities and project impact assessment will be provided to awarded projects.
Those interested in developing a proposal are encouraged to contact an A&S LDT Instructional Designer (email@example.com), who can advise and provide feedback on project ideas and proposal development.
The proposal submission deadline is March 18, 2022.For full consideration, proposals must include:
- Completed proposal
- Detailed project budget
- Email of support from Chair or Program Director, sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consultation with an A&S LDT Instructional Designer is also strongly encouraged as part of the proposal development process.