2021 Call for Proposals
The Learning Technology Incubator (LTi) program is an initiative of the A&S Learning Design and Technology team. The goal of the LTi is to promote innovative projects that seek to solve common instructional challenges and show potential to improve teaching and learning broadly across the curriculum.
In the 2021-2022 LTi cycle, we invite proposals that engage and address the teaching and learning challenges of the post-pandemic return to grounds, specifically:
- Course design or re-design to maximize flexibility, resilience, inclusion, and/or equitable access to learning
- Innovative applications of tools from the existing UVA Learning Technology ecosystem, to solve complex teaching and learning challenges
- Exploration of emerging teaching and learning technologies that have potential for broad application
Proposals that demonstrate interdisciplinary collaboration, have a significant impact on teaching and learning, or have potential to scale up in future iterations are especially encouraged.
Levels of Funding
Funding may be awarded at several levels. For example:
- $2,000 for one–two faculty to develop a short-term project impacting a small group of students
- $10,000 for a small group of faculty working across two or more courses to develop a year- long project impacting students
- $25,000+ for a group of faculty working across multiple courses or disciplines to develop a multi-year project impacting a significant number of students
Funding may be awarded to cover faculty summer wages (maximum $2000 per faculty member), student wages, necessary tools and technology, and other miscellaneous items. Please note that this grant does not cover travel or conference attendance.
Equipment purchased with LTi funding is the property of the College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and must be returned to LD&T at the end of the grant term.
A detailed project budget is required; a sample budget is provided below.
Funds may not be transferred among categories after award notification.
Evaluation of Proposals
Successful proposals will engage and address teaching and learning challenges of the post-pandemic return to grounds and will demonstrate a connection between the proposed project and teaching strategies, pedagogies, or learning technologies that have been shown to enhance effectiveness of undergraduate education.
Grant recipients will be notified on or about May 7, 2021. Funding will be available after July 1, 2021 and must be spent before May 31, 2022. All projects will be assigned an A&S Learning Design & Technology consultant at the point of award notification.
Requirements of Funded Projects
Funded projects will be expected to present findings and share outcomes and project impact with the UVA community. More information about presentation opportunities and project impact evaluation will be provided to awarded projects.
Those interested in developing a proposal are encouraged to contact an A&S LDT Instructional Designer (firstname.lastname@example.org), who can advise and provide feedback on project ideas and proposal development.
The proposal submission deadline is 5:00 pm on March 22, 2021. For full consideration, proposals must include:
- Completed proposal
- Detailed project budget
- Email of support from Chair or Program Director, sent directly to email@example.com
Consultation with an A&S LDT Instructional Designer is also strongly encouraged as part of the proposal development process.